Patchouli essential oil is derived from the leaves of the patchouli plant, which is native to tropical regions of Asia. The oil is extracted through steam distillation of the dried leaves of the plant. Patchouli essential oil has a rich, earthy, and woody aroma that has been used in aromatherapy for centuries.
This essential oil contains many therapeutic properties including anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic, and also has an antidepressant effect. It is used in aromatherapy due to its relaxing and calming properties. It can be used through the diffusers or applied topically by diluting it to relieve stress, anxiety, and depression. It is also used to treat various skin and hair concerns
There can be multiple ways of using patchouli essential oil, but here we will share the top 6 uses of patchouli essential oil that you can include in your day-to-day routine.
Diffuse it around: Add a few drops of patchouli essential oil to a diffuser or vaporiser with some water and keep it in the corner of the room/home/workplace, to make a relaxing atmosphere. It can help ease anxiety, stress, and depression.
Satisfying Massage: Add a few drops of patchouli essential oil with carrier oil. You can opt for almond oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil with patchouli essential oil. This blend can reduce muscle and joint pain, promote relaxation and relieve strained muscles.
- For Beautiful Skin: The anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and anti aging properties of patchouli essential oil make it the best suitable for skin. Use it with carrier oil.
- This can soothe inflamed skin and reduce redness and irritation.
- It improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, as it increases collagen production, leaving skin healthy, youthful-looking skin.
- It may help to moisturise the skin and prevent dryness and promote hydration.
- Patchouli essential oil has antimicrobial properties that may help to prevent the growth of acne-causing bacteria on the skin.
For Healthy Hair - Use it with almond or castor carrier oil. It can stimulate blood flow to the scalp, which can help to promote hair growth and prevent hair loss. Its antifungal properties may reduce dandruff and can improve other scalp conditions. Its anti-inflammatory properties can help to soothe and calm an irritated scalp.
Comforting Bath: Make your bathing experience a relaxing and soothing affair. Add a few drops of patchouli essential oil to a warm bathtub or bathing water that will help to promote calmness and relieve stress. It can also soothe dry or itchy skin.
- Insect repellent: Patchouli essential oil can repel mosquitoes and other insects, making it a natural alternative to chemical insect repellents. Add a few drops of patchouli essential oil to coconut oil and use it as a natural insect repellent.
- It's important to note that essential oils should be used with caution and should always be diluted before applying to the skin.
- Always do a patch test before using any essential oil on larger areas of the skin to ensure that you don't have an allergic reaction or sensitivity to the oil.
- To use patchouli essential oil on your hair, you can mix a few drops of the oil with a carrier oil and massage the mixture into your scalp and hair.
- Leave it on for at least 30 minutes before washing your hair as usual.
- Alternatively, you can add a few drops of patchouli essential oil to your shampoo or conditioner.